About the Academic Orthopaedic Consortium
The Academic Orthopaedic Consortium (AOC) is an S-Corporation that was established by Founder & CEO, Michael R. Gagnon, MBA, in 2005 to nationally organize the administrative leadership of the Academic Orthopaedic Departments for the purpose of establishing a national clearinghouse of information specific to the business and leadership of academic orthopaedic departments. All this to better position Chairs, Faculty leaders, and their Administrative Leadership teams to understand, manage, and to optimize their business and operational positions with best practices and better context of the national academic landscape.
At a national level, the AOC offering has included: benchmark analyses such as orthopaedic compensation, clinical productivity, and the negotiated funds flows which allow these academic departments to financially exist as they do; national academic orthopaedic surgeon and administrator compensation analysis and benchmark; administrative and operational best practices; annual meetings focused on business and leadership for administrators and orthopaedic surgeons; academic orthopaedic surgeon and administrator recruitment services; 360 assessments for Chairs, Division Chiefs, and Chief Administrative Officers.
All of this is provided at no cost to U.S. Academic Departments. There are no membership fees or charges for this information.
Today there are over 850 leaders representing 125 academic departments nationally in this free consortium. Collectively, these departments represent over 3,000 Academic Orthopaedic Surgeons across the U.S.
The AOC positions academic leaders to be more informed, better positioned, and ultimately to become more effective in their roles by:
- Keeping the AOC free of membership fees to encourage broad participation
- Keeping the AOC free of costs for the reports and analysis to educate at a larger scale
- Organizing annual meetings that cost less than all other national meetings
- Peer networking via active engagement of Chief Administrative Officers, Clinical Operations Managers, Hospital Musculo Service Line Directors, and Chair
- Deep dive analysis and national benchmarking focused on the “hot topics”
- Identification, education, and sharing specific to best practices
- Providing 10 free webinars centered on the “hot topics”
- Providing AOC Women’s Executive Leadership Forum to support and strengthen the female AOC administrators which strengthens the enterprises they manage.
- Providing AOC Epic User Group to help users and their enterprises to optimize the Epic platform.
- Providing low cost, high delivery recruitment services supported by guarantees specific to orthopaedic surgeons and administrators.
This is all to improve the national academic orthopaedic community as it tries to understand its environment and to process how it should evolve.
Ratings from Recent AOC Annual Meetings:
95.75% of attendees rated the SOCIAL ACTIVITIES an A or A-
90.38% of attendees rated the AGENDA TOPICS an A or A-
96.08% of attendees rated the SPEAKERS an A or A-
94.23% of attendees rated the VALUE (price vs. gain) an A or A-
96.15% of attendees rated the OVERALL SATISFACTION OF
THE AOC MEETING an A or A-
Michael R. Gagnon, MBA
Founder & CEO
Academic Orthopaedic Consortium